A Team Account is a CERN budget code or cost centre used for keeping track of expenditure at CERN and its corresponding external funding.
Accounting entries are made on behalf of and for the benefit of the requesting Funding Agency or Collaboration. Transactions are not detailed in the CERN annual budget funded by Member State contributions.
Team Accounts should be used exclusively for professional activities in the framework of collaboration work in a CERN experiment executed on CERN's premises.
Research institutes actively participating in an experiment at CERN may request the opening of a Team Account either independently or in collaboration with other research teams.
For externally funded R&D projects at CERN, or other cases that do not clearly enter one of the below described cases, please refer to the External Contributions and Fundraising website.
N.B.: CERN has formulated and adopted official policies related to integrity and anti-fraud that bind all CERN employees and partners:
1. Opening of a Team Account
1.1 Different kinds of Team Accounts
Depending on the need and existing agreements, different type of Team Accounts may be opened. Please make sure to ask for the correct type of Team Account. For example, if a specific agreement exists between CERN and an institute defining special payment or invoicing conditions, a Special Fund Team Account should be opened, not a Visiting Research Team Account.
|Team Account type||Description||Requested documentation|
|Visiting Research Team Account||- Used for running expenses of a Team of researchers on the CERN site that are not included in the collaboration MoU.
- One single Funding Agency or Research Institute contributing funds.
- One or several experiments.
- Automatic monthly invoicing corresponding to expenses debited on budget code, followed up by reminders in case of payment delays.
- Advance payments by RFF are not normally expected (see exceptions in the Accounts receivable, invoicing and payment (Teams and Collaborations) paragraph 1.2c).
- Annual expenditure budgets shall be set per Team Account.
- The Team Account Manager has a reporting obligation towards his/her institute.
- The Team Account Manager and signature holders represent the institute contributing funds and should not be CERN employed members of the personnel.
- If the research group stop using the Team Account or leave CERN, the Team Account shall be closed.
|Application form (see 1.2) signed by an authorised responsible Finance Officer from the Research Institute/Funding Agency,
Grey Book registration in accordance with opening request (Funding Agency/Experiment combination).
|Collaboration Team Account||- Used for experimental infrastructure investments and maintenance as defined in the collaboration MoU(s).
- Several Institutes or Funding Agencies contributing funds.
- Team Account linked to income and/or expenditure.
- Expenditure authorisations based on cash balance of single Team Account or groups of Team Accounts within the collaboration.
- Invoicing and reminders initiated by Team Account Manager (Resource Coordinator) using RFF' in accordance with financial documents (RRB/FRC).
- For certain collaborations, monthly automatic invoices are issued, but not sent to the funding agencies.
- The Team Account Manager (Resources Coordinator) has a reporting obligation towards the participating institutes.
- When the collaboration/experiment is finished or has no more activities at CERN, the Team Accounts shall be closed.
|Written opening request sent by Spokeperson or Resources Coordinator (normally Memo or e-mail),
Grey Book registration,
Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) for each project phase (construction, M&O, upgrade, etc.)
Regular reporting of expected income and spending profile (RRB, FRC or as defined).
|Special Fund Team Account||- One single Institute or Funding Agency contributing funds, ev together with CERN.
- Invoicing and reminders issued by RFF' and/or automatic monthly invoicing in accordance with agreement
- A Team Account Manager (TAM) present at CERN is nominated by CERN and the Funding Agency and has access to and can check all transactions.
- The Team Account Manager and/or the CERN person defined as the financial contact has a reporting obligation towards the Institute or Funding Agency.
- When the contract/agreement expires, the Team Account should be closed.
|Written opening request (normally Memo or e-mail) sent by a person named in the agreement,
An agreement or K-contract signed by CERN Management,
The agreement shall describe the expected expenditure and funding process.
1.2 Request the opening of a Team Account
Visiting Research Team Account
The head of the funding agency or a responsible Finance Officer authorised to make financial commitments on behalf of the funding agency shall fill and sign an Application and update form for a visiting research Team Account.
More information about the role of Finance Officer can be found under Roles, responsibilities and access rights (Teams and Collaborations) (see paragraph 1.1). The Finance Officer of the Institute should not assign him or herself as Team Account Manager.
The form fields include pop-up help texts, visible when completing the form on a computer. Please fill out all fields.
The invoice address should be the official address to the Accounts Payable service of the institute or funding agency requesting the opening. If exceptionally a governmental body shall pay the invoices, this shall be justified in an enclosed letter. The responsibility of control and reporting still lies with the signing Funding Agency/Institute.
The signed form shall be sent electronically to firstname.lastname@example.org or by paper to CERN, FAP-EF-TC, Mailbox C20700, CH-1211 Geneva 23.
Collaboration Team Account
In the case of a new Collaboration common fund Team Account, the written request shall come from the nominated Spokesperson or Resources Coordinator and be accompanied by the corresponding MoU. The opening of additional Team Accounts for the collaboration can be requested in writing by the collaboration’s Resources Coordinator or secretariat with the Spokesperson or Resources Coordinator in Cc.
Special Fund Team Account
A Special Fund Team Account can be requested by the CERN contact person mentioned in the agreement or by one of the signatories of the agreement.
A special Fund Team Account can be opened if the agreement clearly indicates that expenses and revenues shall be managed on a Team Account or if the agreement modalities defines a functioning which makes it more appropriate to manage the revenue and expenses on a Team Account rather than on a CERN code.
1.3 Approval of the request
If the request is approved, the nominated Team Account Manager will receive an e-mail giving access to the website for Team Account Management together with important information on how to financially manage and check the Team Account. The Team Account will be activated only after the Team Account Manager has entered and confirmed the accuracy of the registered information and assigned roles such as signature holders for the Team Account. More information about this role can be found under Roles, responsibilities and access rights (Teams and Collaborations) (see paragraph 1.2).
2. Enter and modify account information
2.1 Who can modify registered data?
Visiting Research Team Account
For a Visiting Research Team Account, the Finance Officer can update certain information by filling out the Application and update form for a visiting research Team Account. CERN will inform the Finance Officer about any modification request concerning the Team Account Manager or the institute email address receiving CERN invoices.
The Team Account Manager can update expenditure budget, signature rights, access to invoices and other data registered for the Team Account on a webpage:
Collaboration Team Account and Special Fund Agreement
The Team Account Manager can modify all information on a webpage:
The Resources Coordinator or Spokesperson of a Collaboration can nominate a new Team Account Manager for a collaboration Team Account. One of the signatories of the Agreement can nominate a new Team Account Manager for a Special Fund Team Account.
2.2 Enter and modify data on the webpage
Open the webpage: Team Account Management webpage (TAM)
Click on the hyperlink of the Team Account Txxxxxx and select “Edit Item” to modify, press OK when ready. It may take a couple of days for the modification to be approved and transferred to CERN’s main database.
Please note that this page is accessible only for Team Account Managers that have logged in to the site (via “Sign in” in the top right corner). A person might have signature rights without being the assigned Team Account Manager, in which case the person will not have access to the site.
3. Closing of Team Account
A Team Account can be closed upon request.
All outstanding expenditure must be paid before this action can be taken.
If a Team Account has not been used for a long period of time, it will be deactivated by CERN Finance services. Remaining funds will be returned to the overpaying Funding Agency(ies).
|1||Return of the remaining funds.||15.03.2017|
|2||Updated application form and opening procedure||28.06.2017|